Our roots run deep in the sandy loam soil of Sasser Farms. For 100 years, our family has called this farm along the Cimarron River west of Perkins home. Grandad Dave Sasser purchased the farm in 1912, building a farm home for his family. We feel privileged and blessed that our children and grandchildren walk the same trails we did growing up, as did our parents and grandparents. We feel a responsibility to the land to be good stewards and to preserve our heritage for future generations, and to share that with our family and friends.
The Sasser family has called Perkins home since 1891, and since 1912 we have lived on the same tract of land west of Perkins along the banks of the Cimarron river.
During the 1870’s the Sasser Farm was part of the Burk & Martin Ranch in the unassigned lands of Indian Territory. The Burk & Martin Ranch was located along the north bank of the Cimarron river in present Payne County and consisted of 100,000 acres of range land. A log ranch house was constructed at the mouth of Wild Horse Creek one mile west of our farm along with stables, cribs, corrals, and 100 acres fenced as a horse pasture. The house and outbuildings were burned by the Buffalo Soldiers prior to the opening of the unassigned lands by land run on April 22, 1889.
With the early settlers to Oklahoma also came the outlaws. Here they were strangers, and organized law enforcement was still being established. The Dalton and Doolin gangs had a rendezvous six miles southwest of Sasser Farms known as horse thief gulch, now Horsethief Canyon. Surrounded on three sides by 100 foot red sandstone walls, and from the front by tall trees and underbrush, the three tiered cave provided cover for the outlaws, a natural corral for horses or livestock, and also a place to stash their loot. With names and dates carved on the rocks dating back to 1875, the springs and creek provided water for man and horse.
One of the worst tornados to ever visit the community occured in 1893, crossing the north side of Sasser Farm, leaving a fence post imbedded in a large Catalpa tree.